by Vivek Raghuvanshi
NEW DELHI — India’s homegrown 155mm/45-Calibre gun has taken a hit following a row of failed trials for over three months by the Indian Army, according a top source in the army.
“The Dhanush 155mm/45-caliber artillery gun has failed on three occasions in a row in the last three months when the shell of the gun hit the muzzle brake in one of the six prototype guns currently undergoing user trials,” the Indian Army source said.
Analysts say the failed trials are not a major setback but can postpone the induction program of the gun.
The Dhanush 155mm/45-caliber artillery gun is being upgraded indigenously by the state-owned Ordnance Factory Board, or OFB, based on original drawings of the Swedish 155mm/39-caliber Bofors howitzers, which India procured in the mid-1980s.
“This [hitting of the muzzle brake] should not be a setback if early evaluation is carried out and modifications made,” said Rahul Bhonsle, retired Indian Army brigadier and defense analyst.
On the failure of the recent trial of the gun, Bhonsle said, ”Shells hitting the muzzle brake could be due to a number of reasons such as overexploitation of the munitions, overcharging of the munitions and so on or even faulty ammunition; all of these aspects will have to be evaluated.”
Another Indian Army official said that at best, the latest incidents can postpone the induction of the 114 Dhanush guns ordered by the army at a cost of $2 billion.
The first batch of 18 guns are slotted to be inducted this year, another 36 guns in 2018 and 60 guns in 2019, completing the initial order.
- Syed Salahuddin is trending at 6 in India
- MT Genessa oil tanker: India Coast Guard fire fight on
- Israel PM meets biz leaders over power breakfast in Mumbai
- In pics: First photos of Enrique and Anna's twins
- Diljit Dosanjh on Soorma’s clash with Dutt biopic
- Dunford on the US-Pakistan relations: ‘I’m not giving up’
- France welcomes the first C-130J Super Hercules airlifter
- French order of C-130J aircraft signals plan for larger Air Force fleet
- First F-35B shipboard deployment to begin as US warship arrives in Japan
- Russia and US engage in 'military base race' in Syria
- Greece to launch talks with France over FREMM frigates, corvettes
- Army chief: Future of US troops in Iraq TBD as ISIS crumbles
- Israel touts 'steel dome' as answer to terror tunnels
- HC halts plan to fell century-old trees on Jessore-Benapole Road for six months
- Puerto Rico school's joy as electricity restored after 112 days
- RITES files IPO papers with Sebi to raise Rs 600 crore
- Sitharaman scripts history again
- CCTVs in classrooms so parents can see kids in real-time: Arvind Kejriwal
- Doklam: New concern for India
- 'Aadhaar is an electronic leash'