With all the new features, the Jaguar Darin III is expected to serve the IAF for at least another decade.
by Chethan Kumar
BANGALORE: Test pilots at defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) flew for the first time an upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft fitted with an AESA (active electronically scanned array) radar.
The Jaguar Darin III, which HAL is upgrading for the Indian Air Force (IAF), will now boast of the state-of-the-art AESA radar and improved features like multi target tracking frequency agility, higher bandwidth of operation, interleaved modes of operation, higher accuracies and resolution.
HAL and Israeli firm ELTA, whose radar the defence PSU has fitted the Jaguar with, had completed the ground trials in February. Apart from the AESA radar, the aircraft will also be equipped with 28 new sensors, among other things.
With all the new features, the Jaguar Darin III is expected to serve the IAF for at least another decade. The IAF, which has been struggling to keep up its fighter plane strength at the desired level was satisfied with the initial upgrade plan and the aircraft had received the IOC (initial operational clearance) in November 2016.
"The upgrade incorporates new state-of-the-art avionics architecture including the Open System Architecture Mission Computer (OSAMC), Engine and Flight Instrument System (EFIS), Fire Control Radar, Inertial Navigation System with GPS and Geodetic height correction, et al," HAL said.
- #Moody is trending at 6 in world
- #Moody is trending at 1 in India
- US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- France invests in ventures focused on advanced defense tech
- Nicolas Leoz: Conmebol ex-chief to be extradited from Paraguay
- Security forces arrest five terrorists in Balochistan
- US Must Invest In Natural Strategic Partner India: Randall Schriver
- Is India Developing A 12,000 Kms Range Missile - SURYA?
- Pakistan Needs To Be Told US Won't Tolerate Terrorist Safe Havens: John C Rood
- Investments, good services can make living in Arctic more attractive — experts
- Two hanged in Jessore for murdering freedom fighter in 1994
- India Aims To Expand Presence In Indian Ocean Region: Send Warships To Tanzania
- No Contradiction In Blocking Resolution On Masood Azhar: China
- ECONOMY: Moody's Back Modi: Moody’s Upgrade A Fitting Reply To Govt’s Critics: Jhunjhunwala
- Russia makes all efforts to ensure security at 2018 FIFA World Cup — Lavrov
- Rafale Deal Tweaked To Aid One Man: Rahul Gandhi
- Facebook launches new tools for video creators
- Russia, China to hold joint computer-assisted missile defense drill
- American Boeing And HAL Discuss Building F/A-18 Fighter
- Instagram now allows uploading Stories via mobile web; here’s how it works