With all the new features, the Jaguar Darin III is expected to serve the IAF for at least another decade.
by Chethan Kumar
BANGALORE: Test pilots at defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) flew for the first time an upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft fitted with an AESA (active electronically scanned array) radar.
The Jaguar Darin III, which HAL is upgrading for the Indian Air Force (IAF), will now boast of the state-of-the-art AESA radar and improved features like multi target tracking frequency agility, higher bandwidth of operation, interleaved modes of operation, higher accuracies and resolution.
HAL and Israeli firm ELTA, whose radar the defence PSU has fitted the Jaguar with, had completed the ground trials in February. Apart from the AESA radar, the aircraft will also be equipped with 28 new sensors, among other things.
With all the new features, the Jaguar Darin III is expected to serve the IAF for at least another decade. The IAF, which has been struggling to keep up its fighter plane strength at the desired level was satisfied with the initial upgrade plan and the aircraft had received the IOC (initial operational clearance) in November 2016.
"The upgrade incorporates new state-of-the-art avionics architecture including the Open System Architecture Mission Computer (OSAMC), Engine and Flight Instrument System (EFIS), Fire Control Radar, Inertial Navigation System with GPS and Geodetic height correction, et al," HAL said.
- Syed Salahuddin is trending at 6 in India
- 'Amazing' underwater tunnels could unravel Mayan mystery
- CJ CGV Installs Premium HARMAN Audio Systems in 24 Theaters Across Vietnam
- 39 trains delayed, 15 cancelled as cold wave intensifies
- GPS, panic buttons mandatory on public vehicles from April 1
- New twist in Padmaavat row
- Dunford on the US-Pakistan relations: ‘I’m not giving up’
- France welcomes the first C-130J Super Hercules airlifter
- French order of C-130J aircraft signals plan for larger Air Force fleet
- First F-35B shipboard deployment to begin as US warship arrives in Japan
- Russia and US engage in 'military base race' in Syria
- Army chief: Future of US troops in Iraq TBD as ISIS crumbles
- What we’re learning about France’s air special forces as they publicly recruit
- Israel touts 'steel dome' as answer to terror tunnels
- Top 10 Faux Pas Committed By US Presidents
- Divers discover 'world's longest cave'
- RITES files IPO papers with Sebi to raise Rs 600 crore
- Sitharaman scripts history again
- CCTVs in classrooms so parents can see kids in real-time: Arvind Kejriwal
- 'Aadhaar is an electronic leash'